If you wish to help support this site please disable your adblock program.

Click here to become a Premium Member : No ads site-wide : Forum privileges : Upgraded services : Giveaway & moreSupport the Site! Support Us!
Tukui » Offtopic » Mists of Pandaria Joomla Template (and new WoD Template)
  1. Challenger Boradan
    Beta-Tester

XP: 

177 / 1337

I decided to do a website for my guild from scratch as any others they had haven't been used in aaaages.
    Was disappointed at the pure lack of templates out there for MoP, so I decided to create my own for Joomla (since its the only CMS I am familiar with).

As I had NO idea how to do a template, I looked around and found Artisteer. Simple to use, but the templates arent THAT great. I built the basic template then got started on modifying the template.css file to get it to do what I wanted. After a few days, I arrived with this. Ive gotta say I'm DAMNED happy with it and the guildies are liking it too - not enough to use the damned forum, but meh.... who wants to post on an empty forum?? Time for me to get a lot of class details in there to get some use on the site.

You can see the endeavours of my work on our guild site:
    http://www.symbiotic-ubiquity.co.uk
    I have decided to release the template into the wild, and you are free to do anything you want with it..... if you want to modify it, do so......

Features:

Uses artwork from Blizzards MoP promotional site
    Bluepost Class style to colour the posts correctly
    A choice of 5 Top Background images to use
    Colour-scheme to match the backgrounds.
    Site-Wide wowhead item/spell tooltips. Works on your forum if you have a PHP BB based forum such as Kunena installed

Now for the important bit:: the screenshots

the 4 other background images included in the template (the footer image simply stays the same as it matches all top background images)::

You can change the background used by editing line 245 of the template.css file... It defaults to top5.jpg.... just change that to whaever you want. Alternatively, you can do what I have done on the site, which is to use the joomla module called HD-Background Selector to swap backgrounds depending on the page you are on. In order to do this, you need to extract the template zip file, look in the 'images' folder and upload them to your Joomla Images folder.

2 likes by: LayALAD, UverblackPosted 2 years ago - #1

2. If you wish to help support this site please disable your adblock program.

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Getting a white page when visiting your site :p

Edit: From your screenshot I noticed the "dotted triangles" in the vertical menu and in the News module look a bit out of place. In your Guild Achievement and Guild Loot blocks it would be nice if you could vertical-align the images so the text doesn't show up a bit below them. In the Guild Loot block you might want to align the content a bit further to the left to use all the space available.

All in all it looks nice though.

Posted 2 years ago - #2

3. Rival Darkieth

XP: 

341 / 1337

Works for me. I like it.

Posted 2 years ago - #3

4. online

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Works for me now too. Guess he was messing with the live site :p

Posted 2 years ago - #4

5. Challenger Boradan
    Beta-Tester

XP: 

177 / 1337

I was indeed ;)
    Unfortunately i the issue of the icons lining up in the Guild achievement and Guild loot blocks is to do with the modules themselves. They arent really meant to be used in such a narrow module. They need 1/2 or 1/3 span of the site to work effectively. I am looking into modifying the module codes to try and sort that out...
    Also, the dotted triangles are a pain in the ass from Artisteer. Next stage is to get rid of them, but I have a raid in about 10 minutes, so will do it later tonight.
    Gonna fraps the whole DS10 HC thing to get some video content onto the site instead of just one wipe :(

Posted 2 years ago - #5

6. Hero Tukz
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

I think some fonts are too big for some of the areas. Lots of time you have a little space for a feature, but the fonts look oversized in it because of the area look small. Example: Recruitement, Ranking, Latest Blizzard news, News titles, etc.

This is the first thing that I noticed when I loaded your page. On higher resolution (1920x1080+), its not really a big deal, It still look oversized for the small areas but if you are a visitor with a resolution of 1600x900 or less, it will look like more oversized than its already is on large screen resolution.

I didnt really browse the site for a more wide opinion but at least, its a start.

Everything else, its a great job in my opinion. Great work overall, even if I don't like joomla. :)

Back on WoW for MoP, streaming almost everytime I play here.
    "If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough."
    Posted 2 years ago - #6

7. Challenger Boradan
    Beta-Tester

XP: 

177 / 1337

I actually use 1920 X 1080.
    Just dropped dpwn to 1360 x 768 and think it actually looks better at that resolution.
    The fonts are the same size as used in this site, and look good IMO. Might drop the H1 down a font size or 2 because I DO agree that it is a bit oversized.

Probably do a few more tweaks to the site over the next few days and see how it goes

Posted 2 years ago - #7

8. Challenger Boradan
    Beta-Tester

XP: 

177 / 1337

Resized some of the fonts now. Forgot to actually take ionto account that though I am usung 1920x1080, its on a 42" flatscreen.
    Does it look any better on a standard monitor now?
    Also removed the dotted arrows from the content (but not yet from the vertical menu)

Havent updated the file, or the images, but you can see the changes HERE

Posted 2 years ago - #8

9. Hero Hydra
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

In your links at the bottom of the page, you have

Elv UI and TUK UI

It's just ElvUI and tukui :P

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
    Posted 2 years ago - #9

10. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Tukui

nerd

:)
    Posted 2 years ago - #10

11. Hero Hydra
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

No capital T, nerd :)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
    Posted 2 years ago - #11

12. Duelist Shiennar
    Premium

XP: 

676 / 1337

Every name starts with a capital letter... nerd!

Posted 2 years ago - #12

13. Challenger Boradan
    Beta-Tester

XP: 

177 / 1337

well... the site has had a MAJOR overhaul.
    I thought the artisteer template left much to be desired, so I scrapped it and built a new one using the Gantry Framework. MUCH happier with it now......

**** WALL OF TEXT INCOMING ****

I used blizzard MoP artwork to create the backgrounds. Stunning work by the way ;)
    I started off using an entire background from the MoP site, but ran into difficulties as the layout of these backgrounds meant that the menu and the content had to be in an EXACT position. This severely curtailed the module positions available, so I opened up paint shop pro and got to work. I removed the banner/scroll/tapestry (whatever the heck you call it) that blizzard uses for the content on their MoP site and used it as the background for the main body.
    Then I got to work removing the menu bar graphics and applied that to the background for the menu.
    With these two elements, I could not position modules anywhere I liked on the site, and the main content background and the menu background moved accordingly. Win !

As a downside, I now had to pull 2 or 3 blizzart artworks apart and mix them in order to fill in the blank spots.
    Once that was done, I decided to create styles for the modules. As you can see on the 'Layout' link, there are 6 module styles plus an unstyled one, giving 7 in total, and 13 module title styles (hard to see the difference on the last 6 title styles, but they are over-sized as you can see from the login module - the red title box extends by 6 pixels either side of the module itself) plus an unstyled one for a total if 14.
    That gives a combination of 98 styles possible for each module by combining a specific module style with a specific title style. This is done by putting two words in the 'Module Style Suffix' box when you add a module to your site (example : ' block5 title1' styles your module appropriately - or just 'block1' if you want an unstyled title). No messing about with CSS to change the styling of the modules.

I have also created 3 individual styles for the overall site (background image/font colours)
    The background images can be seen on the 'Home' page, the 'Blue Posts' page and the 'Layout' page though these dont have the individual styles applied - just the backgrounds.

Now where it gets more complicated.
    In Gantry, you can change a LOT of parameters:
    The layout of your site: How many side-bars you want, their size, and where they go.
    Your font colour used throughout the site - no need to set font colours in every article you write - in fact, DONT do that. just leave it as is when writing the article and gantry makes it use your font choice colour)
    Theres a LOT more options for getting your site looking exactly how you want it to look- too much to cover here.
    It may be a lot of options, but I decided it wasnt ENOUGH, so I added options to create your own custom module style incase the styles I had included didnt tickle your fancy.
    NOW, in the template settings, if you go to the 'style' tab, you can do this.
    This means you set the options for the Module background colour, Border style (if you want a border) border colour, border radius(wether or not you want rounded corners), content text colour, content heading colour and module padding.
    the same options are available for the module title, with the addition of the title alignment.

Now, when you input these settings and click the 'save' button, you can enter 'custom' for your custom module style or 'customtitle' for the title style into the 'Module Class Suffix' box. That gives one extra title style and 1 extra module style. Since you can use any title style with any module style, adding these 2 increases the possible combinations from 98 to
    120 (15 module styles X 8 title styles) - 22 more possible module variations simply by adding 1 title and 1 module style...... not too bad.

STILL not enough though, so I decided to increase the amount of custom Module styles to 10, and the number of custom title styles to 10 aswell.....
    That gives a total (including the styles already built in to the template) of.....
    (43 title styles X 17 module styles) = 408 possible variations of module styling.....

Holy moly.... Time to stop now I think. 408 is enough for ANYBODY I think.

You can see the site up live now on:
    http://www.symbiotic-ubiquity.co.uk

The 'Layout' link shows the in-built styling aswell as one module created using the custom style.

If anyone is interested in using the template for their guild site, register on the site and post in the 'Site Template' section of the forum and I will mail you a link for it....

I still have a little bit of cleaning up to do with the code, but it should be available in 2 days or so.

Posted 2 years ago - #13

14. offline

XP: 

1 / 1337

Good job,

It's an artisteer project ? Can you share your project so that I can improve on Artisteer ..
    thank you very much

Posted 2 years ago - #14

15. Challenger Boradan
    Beta-Tester

XP: 

177 / 1337

Sorry about the delay in responding....
    I binned the artisteer template I had made and changed to making a template based on the gantry framework instead. Rebuilt it from scratch, and just discovered that gantry has been updated to version 4.0 now with dynamic scaling for screen resolutions and tablets/mobile phones.
    Gonna redo it for gantry 4.0 to give the scaling ;)

Posted 2 years ago - #15

16. offline

XP: 

2 / 1337

Hi i just wanna ask if Boradan is working on remake of this template for gantry 4 . I want to use it for my website and just wanna know if i need install old version (of gantry) or just wait ;)

Posted 2 years ago - #16

17. offline

XP: 

1 / 1337

hey so i have phpbb 3 (the latest most updated version). will this theme pack work with it or not?

Posted 1 year ago - #17

18. offline

XP: 

1 / 1337

Thank you so much for making this template. :)

Posted 1 year ago - #18

19. offline

XP: 

1 / 1337

who are the plugins?

Posted 1 year ago - #19

20. Challenger Boradan
    Beta-Tester

XP: 

177 / 1337

Gonna necro this thread ;)
    Template has been overhauled for Joomla 3.
    Got rid of the Gantry framework
    You can see it in action on my guild site (although thats on Joomla 2.5, it looks the same on Joomla 3 now)

As a SNEAK PEAK, I am working on a template for Warlords of Draenor. You can see it in action here.
    I will probably only create the template for Joomla 3 this time around.

Still very much a Work in Progress, and its only set for the one page at the minute (the links on the meu bring you to the MoP Template Demo site) but interested in any feedback.

Boradan

Posted 8 months ago - #20

21. offline

XP: 

1 / 1337

Hey Boradan I really like your Template, I have some skills in Joomla and I want to create a new website for my guild for the release of Warlords of Draenor. It would be nice if you could send me the files, thank you.

Jason

Posted 1 month ago - #21

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.