If you wish to help support this site please disable your adblock program.

Click here to become a Premium Member : No ads site-wide : Forum privileges : Upgraded services : Giveaway & moreSupport the Site! Support Us!
Tukui » ElvUI » General Discussion » License Change 2013
  1. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337
    ElvUI License
    	Copyright ©2009-2013

The contents of this addon, excluding third-party resources, are
    	copyrighted to their authors with all rights reserved.

The author of this addon hereby grants you the following rights:

1. 	You may make modifications to this addon for private use only, you
    		may not publicize any portion of this addon. The only exception being you may
    		upload to the tukui.org or github website.

2. 	Do not modify the name of this addon, including the addon folders.

3. 	This copyright notice shall be included in all copies or substantial
    		portions of the Software.

All rights not explicitly addressed in this license are reserved by
    	the copyright holders.

I'm making a small change to the license for 2013. As of 5.19 I will not tolerate any uploading of ElvUI to any third party websites.

Tukz and myself put in a great deal of time to Tukui community which is powered by the Tukui and ElvUI projects. When people upload our projects to other websites it does not benefit us. Not to mention the constant battle I have with people downloading ElvUI from the curse client. Again this is for people uploading edits of ElvUI or "Compilations". Plugin authors are free to do as they will, though I encourage only uploading only to tukui.org to help benefit our community.

Thanks,

Elv

:)
    Posted 1 year ago - #1

2. If you wish to help support this site please disable your adblock program.

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Hey Elv. Are we still allowed to keep personal edits on GitHub or should we use private repos from now on?

Posted 1 year ago - #2

3. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Blazeflack said:
    Hey Elv. Are we still allowed to keep personal edits on GitHub or should we use private repos from now on?

Tukz can set you up with a git on our website i'm sure.

Posted 1 year ago - #3

4. Hero Sgt

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Elv said:

Blazeflack said:

Let's get self sufficient !

Insane Touhou 6 : Embodiment of Scarlet Devil Player
    Posted 1 year ago - #4

5. offline

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Elv said:

Blazeflack said:

Thanks for the offer but it's not quite the same. I make heavy use of the "History" feature on GitHub when I need to track down a change made to a file some time ago. Other than that, I've also grown used to GitHub and I don't find it easy to adjust habits :p.

I'll look into getting a private repo for it.

Posted 1 year ago - #5

6. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

I'm going to allow github.

Posted 1 year ago - #6

7. Challenger Tirael

XP: 

14 / 1337

According to the Blizzard WoW UI Development Policy, if someone makes a UI, the code has to be publicly available. Wouldn't a private repo sort of interfere with that?

Posted 1 year ago - #7

8. Hero Sgt

XP: 

1337 / 1337

No.

Edit : I would be rude if i post only a "No", so here is smth : if we make a private repo, it's for our UI, that's mean our Edited version, the general version, which is tukui and ElvUI are available for public. If Blaze ask for a private repo, that's because he work with Elv (correct me if i'm wrong) to fix more issues much faster. So basically, the change he made, if Elv agree with these, you'll see the code on the ElvUI repo
    Some douchebag dl our UI and post them on Curseshit or WoWinternub, which is against tukui/ElvUI license.

Edit 2 : Blizzard can put their policy somewhere else than on a webpage. Because half of it is outdated

Posted 1 year ago - #8

9. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Tirael said:
    According to the Blizzard WoW UI Development Policy, if someone makes a UI, the code has to be publicly available. Wouldn't a private repo sort of interfere with that?

That is completely irrelevant. Private github means only he can see his own code that he is personally using. Hes not withholding code from other users for personal gain.

Posted 1 year ago - #9

10. Challenger Tirael

XP: 

14 / 1337

I can understand how someone taking your work and reposting it to an unapproved site would get you tossed off somewhat, but don't put me in the stocks for asking a question...jeez. My second question, if this license is the same for both Tukz/Elv, does that also mean the license also applies to edited versions such as Duffed and Asphyxia?

Posted 1 year ago - #10

11. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Tirael said:
    I can understand how someone taking your work and reposting it to an unapproved site would get you tossed off somewhat, but don't put me in the stocks for asking a question...jeez. My second question, if this license is the same for both Tukz/Elv, does that also mean the license also applies to edited versions such as Duffed and Asphyxia?

No the license is only for ElvUI, Tukz decides what he wants to do with Tukui. I didn't put you in any stocks.

Posted 1 year ago - #11

12. Hero Sgt

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Elv said:

Tirael said:

No the license is only for ElvUI, Tukz decides what he wants to do with Tukui. I didn't put you in any stocks.

What ?
    That's mean editors can delete these licenses and put their own ? O.O

Posted 1 year ago - #12

13. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Sgt said:

Elv said:

Tirael said:

What ?
    That's mean editors can delete these licenses and put their own ? O.O

ElvUI and Tukui no longer share code. ElvUI was completely rewritten from scrach when v3 came out. We develop solutions together but what tukz does with a solution is written in his own logic.

Posted 1 year ago - #13

14. Challenger Tirael

XP: 

14 / 1337

I reply failed. I was replying to Sgt. Anyway, my bad. I blame language barriers, me being up at 2:49 am and basically jacked with about 2 cups of coffee.

Posted 1 year ago - #14

15. Hero Sgt

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Yes i know for the ElvUI part, but for tukui, but when you edit tukui (like DuffedUI or AsphyxiaUI) you must keep the license and not change it right ?

Edit : Shit, that go too fast xD

Posted 1 year ago - #15

16. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Sgt said:
    Yes i know for the ElvUI part, but for tukui, but when you edit tukui (like DuffedUI or AsphyxiaUI) you must keep the license and not change it right ?

Correct.

I cannot answer questions for Tukui though which is what my first response is about. You asked if this will effect Tukui edits. It won't.

Posted 1 year ago - #16

17. Gladiator Merith

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Sgt said:

Edit : Shit, that go too fast xD

Correct Sgt.
    Tukz, Sinaris and I have a separate agreement in this regard. We retain the original license of tukui, but can add our own because DuffedUI or AsphyxiaUI are two independent projects now. In my case, it is enough to ask whether you can upload the UI on a separate page, as happened in the case of Asians.

Live every day as if it were your last.
    DuffedUI v7 - Download / TicketTracker
    YouTube - liquidbasex
    Posted 1 year ago - #17

18. Challenger Dargan

XP: 

77 / 1337

Petty that it came to this step cause i am a Compilation Up loader on WoWInterface.
    But i respect Elv's decision and informed on my Page the changes to the License and will not Upload anymore.

Posted 1 year ago - #18

19. offline

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Sgt said:
    [...] If Blaze ask for a private repo, that's because he work with Elv (correct me if i'm wrong) to fix more issues much faster. So basically, the change he made, if Elv agree with these, you'll see the code on the ElvUI [...]

Just wanted to clarify this for anyone reading this thread later on.
    The only person developing ElvUI is Elv. I'm flattered that you think so highly of me, but you give me way too much credit. Sometimes my suggestions come with a piece of code attached as a possible solution, but that's more the exception rather than the rule. My contribution to ElvUI is the same as anyone suggesting features or reporting bugs.

Dargan said:
    Petty that it came to this step cause i am a Compilation Up loader on WoWInterface.
    But i respect Elv's decision and informed on my Page the changes to the License and will not Upload anymore.

You can always take the extra step and develop an external edit of ElvUI (in the form of another addon, a 'plugin' if you will). Like the "Shadow & Light" edit of ElvUI.

Elv said:
    Plugin authors are free to do as they will, though I encourage only uploading only to tukui.org to help benefit our community.

I will probably take the step and move away from Curse in the future, but I think it will have to wait until Tukz has time to work on the ticket system and make it more user friendly and allow for addon authors to use it.

Posted 1 year ago - #19

20. online
    VIP

XP: 

964 / 1337

Blazeflack said:
    but I think it will have to wait until Tukz has time to work on the ticket system and make it more user friendly and allow for addon authors to use it.

Double this!

Shadow & Light | Mah toons
    05:12:50 ‹Elv› I just utilized my degree in afro engineering and fixed it
    <--- Fan of maids
    Posted 1 year ago - #20

21. Gladiator Dandruff
    VIP

XP: 

1266 / 1337

Blazeflack said:

Thanks for the offer but it's not quite the same. I make heavy use of the "History" feature on GitHub when I need to track down a change made to a file some time ago. Other than that, I've also grown used to GitHub and I don't find it easy to adjust habits :p.

I'll look into getting a private repo for it.

Github is really a boated version of git :P all the features github provides are also available elsewhere (Minus the graphs... which don't do much anyways).

Check out Git Extensions :D http://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/

As for the license change, I totally support Elv! This also means we should do a lot of coding to get Tukui.org to support a bigger and better addon community :D

~Advocate for Javascript in signatures
    21:23:42 ‹Sgt› its better when people torture themselves lol
    21:24:20 ‹Sgt› thinking about it, that's probably the most fucked up thing i've posted on this chat since tukz added it
    Posted 1 year ago - #21

22. Hero Tukz
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Darth Predator said:

Blazeflack said:
    but I think it will have to wait until Tukz has time to work on the ticket system and make it more user friendly and allow for addon authors to use it.

Double this!

Addons authors can request a ticket in pm, less thant 5% of addons author use them.

Unfortunately I won't be around for the next 7 days, I just got out of the hospital 1 hour ago. I was here since yesterday morning and the doctor told me to have a 1 week complete rest if I want to heal. I won't go into details but anyway, it's more or less personnal but anyway.

Yes i'll unfortunately spend my time for the new year in bed while my family is celebrate. :/

Back on WoW for MoP, streaming almost everytime I play here.
    "If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough."
    Posted 1 year ago - #22

23. Hero Tukz
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Darth Predator said:

Blazeflack said:

Double this!

Addons authors can request a ticket in pm, less thant 5% of addons author use them. Example : http://www.tukui.org/tickets/elvuiskins/

Unfortunately I won't be around for the next 7 days, I just got out of the hospital 1 hour ago. I was here since yesterday morning and the doctor told me to have a 1 week complete rest if I want to heal. I won't go into details but anyway, it's more or less personnal but anyway.

Yes i'll unfortunately spend my time for the new year in bed while my family is celebrate. :/

Back on WoW for MoP, streaming almost everytime I play here.
    "If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough."
    Posted 1 year ago - #23

24. Gladiator Dandruff
    VIP

XP: 

1266 / 1337

Tukz said:
    [...]

Well shit dude... get well soon!

~Advocate for Javascript in signatures
    21:23:42 ‹Sgt› its better when people torture themselves lol
    21:24:20 ‹Sgt› thinking about it, that's probably the most fucked up thing i've posted on this chat since tukz added it
    Posted 1 year ago - #24

25. Hero Sgt

XP: 

1337 / 1337

What the fuck... Get well asap!

Posted 1 year ago - #25

26. offline

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Tukz said:
    Addons authors can request a ticket in pm, less thant 5% of addons author use them.

Edit: Misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that authors could tell their users to put tickets in PMs, not that addon authors can request a ticket tracker from you in a PM.

Get well soon, but take your time and make sure you get the rest you need.

Posted 1 year ago - #26

27. Challenger MuteTV

XP: 

135 / 1337

I understand the change and appreciate not only the creators of Elv, but the community as well. I may not have the Lua knowledge most of you have, but I will continue to help where I can via premium, donations and answering the simple stuff.

With that said, my UI which is based on ElvUI, though not having simple anchor re-placement like most re-uploads, has been gaining generous popularity. I would like to continue to support this build with the upmost respect for the ElvUI and plugin authors, so I am led to believe using this site as a plug as opposed to WoWI would be the best option. Is there a way I can upload the interface here and support it directly via Tukui.org? Redirecting any WoWI members here?

Please let me know how to best approach this as I would rather use a better plug than GitHUB to make it easier for downloaders to request support, comment and critique.

Thanks again.

Here is the UI: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21922-OPUI.html

Posted 1 year ago - #27

28. Hero Elv
    Overlord

XP: 

1337 / 1337

MuteTV said:
    I understand the change and appreciate not only the creators of Elv, but the community as well. I may not have the Lua knowledge most of you have, but I will continue to help where I can via premium, donations and answering the simple stuff.

With that said, my UI which is based on ElvUI, though not having simple anchor re-placement like most re-uploads, has been gaining generous popularity. I would like to continue to support this build with the upmost respect for the ElvUI and plugin authors, so I am led to believe using this site as a plug as opposed to WoWI would be the best option. Is there a way I can upload the interface here and support it directly via Tukui.org? Redirecting any WoWI members here?

Please let me know how to best approach this as I would rather use a better plug than GitHUB to make it easier for downloaders to request support, comment and critique.

Thanks again.

Here is the UI: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21922-OPUI.html

We have a section for people to post their versions of ElvUI/Tukui. You can upload via addon system.

http://www.tukui.org/addons/index.php?act=category&id=33

Posted 1 year ago - #28

29. offline

XP: 

1337 / 1337

Elv said:

We have a section for people to post their versions of ElvUI/Tukui. You can upload via addon system.

http://www.tukui.org/addons/index.php?act=category&id=33

Along with this please only include the necessary addon's that you will need for your edit to work. The extra's they can download from Curse/WoWInterface. As for all the other Tukui/ElvUI Plugins/Modules you have included unless they are specifically edited just link them to the actual page here on Tukui. That way they can place bug reports in the right places. Like with this UI Edit: http://www.tukui.org/addons/index.php?act=view&id=142

Posted 1 year ago - #29

30. Challenger MuteTV

XP: 

135 / 1337

Sounds good guys, thanks for the replies. I will upload to TukUI and redirect everyone as instructed.

Happy new year.

Posted 1 year ago - #30

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.