Before reporting a bug, try to do a clean re-install:
  1. Remove all entries of Tukui Client from Add/Remove Programs.
  2. Remove data folder for Tukui Client:
    • Open a Windows Explorer window (folder).
    • Type the following in the address bar and press Enter:

Code: Select all

%localappdata%
    • Find the Tukui folder and delete it.
  3. Download the latest version of the Tukui Client and install it.

Windows Defender Detects Trojan

When I try to install the new Windows client, Windows Defender flags the install package as containing a trojan:

Trojan:Win32/Sprisky.U!cl

The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer.
Category: Trojan
Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.
Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
containerfile:C:\Users\USER\Downloads\tukui-windows-3020.zip
file:C:\Users\USER\Downloads\tukui-windows-3020.zip->setup.exe
webfile:C:\Users\Steve\Downloads\tukui-windows-3020.zip|https://www.tukui.org/client/windows/tu ... broker.exe

Just a heads up...

It’s false positive but next update should not display this warning anymore, which should be available tonight.
Don't commit on master when drunk.

If you are getting a message, are you updating via the prompt the client gives or by downloading directly from the website. If you get a detection from the client prompt could you try to download directly from the website and tell me if it still happens?

AVG Detects Malware

Ok, I did originally post a comment here about AVG also reporting an issue for v3.0.5 ( and the previous version, and the subsequent one ) but as this was really about Windows Defender I removed my comment and created a new post specific to AVG but was then asked to use this thread anyway. So, to recap, I got the same problem with the updated client from yesterday. I originally downloaded from the new client from the new Tukui website ( after it was rebuilt ) and since then the updates have been automatically detected by the client and so presumably that is getting it from the Tukui site. With each new update ( well the last 3 anyway, but not the original for sure ) AVG has complained. I've created an exception in AVG each time.

AVG Detects Trojan

I uninstalled it and reinstalled again from the Tukui website. So far no warning from AVG during the installation.
I didn't get one when I installed it previously after the Tukui website rebuild. I'd have reported it otherwise.
The warnings only started appearing with very recent client initiated updates. I'll let you know what happens next time there is a Tukui Client initiated update.

History: Originally I had the Tukui Client from the previous Tukui website that got hacked, then that client got replaced by a new one from the new rebuilt Tukui website. No warnings were reported by AVG for any of those installs. IIRC there were a couple of updates to the new client in the first day or so of the new Tukui rebuilt website coming online and none of those new tukui client initiated updates caused any problems for AVG. Its only been the last 3 ( so the last week or so ??) of tukui client initiated updates that caused AVG to complain.

I have to ask what is it that you have modified in the clients source tree to introduce/remove this false positive?