Aard Things

Hey all.

Teaching myself how to make an addon for ElvUI. in the process I needed some bars and icons to play with, so I started making some in GIMP (and teaching myself GIMP in the process). I haven't finished the addon yet, but I did manage to create some bars and icons that I think are pretty spiffy. You can use these for whatever you want, either in sharedmedia or in your own things. There isn't anything revolutionary here, most bars are similar to what is already out there. But, I made these, so I like them better :)

https://www.tukui.org/files/HappyFoo19/ ... dbars2.zip

On the bars: I called them 'Aard' because as I was iterating on them I wanted them on the top of the list (i.e. being lazy). The actual names of the bars have no meaning either. Some existing bars out there have descriptors in their names, others leave me scratching my head. So I went with random/goofy names. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Most of these are 512x64 (8-to-1 ratio). The bars without borders look good while stretched or squished, but the ones with more detail look better the closer you get to that 8-to-1 ratio.

Alfa: Simple low contrast gradients on the darker side with a thin highlight and shadow.
Cruntzman: Simple gradients on the darker side, but with thin layers that use the drop shadow filter to define edges.
Eklo: Flat bars of various shades with a thin 4px contrasting border around edge.
Guurm: Something that happened while I was flipping layers. What's there is there.
Murfen: Simple gradients on the lighter side, no borders.
Nangrus: Playing with layers and drop shadow using rectangles. Not my fav, but some interesting things happen when you stack bars using this.
Oogi: Playing with high contrast gradients that go in opposite directions.

https://www.tukui.org/files/HappyFoo19/ ... dicons.zip

For the icons I started with the idea of re-creating the default combat icon using basic shapes and at a higher 64x64 res. This resulted in me iterating on several different variations of the crossed swords theme, added some shields, thought it would be cool to whip up a hammer and an axe, add some geometric backgrounds, etc. The difficult part was getting them to look decent at 64x64, but I think I landed on some that I like.

I also wanted to recreate the default rest icon at a higher 64x64 res. Again, just made them in GIMP using basic shapes and the Quicksand font (which is open source on Google fonts). Created 4 of these in the standard green, plus blue, red, and white.

There's also a mail icon in there. I just wanted to see if I could make one. And I could. So there you go.

Anyway, if you have any feedback on them I'd love to hear it. I'll include these in my addon once it stops spitting errors at me.