Before creating a thread about any issues or errors here please read How to report S&L problems so you can provide the necessary info.

Please port Shadow and Light to Classic

As the title says, I very much enjoy using Elv UI + Shadow and Light, and I feel like it would be a missed opportunity for S&L to not be quickly ported over to Classic. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that is hoping for this. I'm not entirely sure who the dev is for the addon, but I'd love to see it in by Classic launch if possible. ><

I’m not sure if S&L is going to have a classic version, the devs will be able to answer that.

Not everyone has had access and or time to classic beta, it does take time to create addons.
I always recommend backing up your WTF folder - where your profiles/settings for all addons, including ElvUI are stored.

We are still on the fence about it. To port S&L we need to make ElvUI "working properly" first, otherwise it is just a waste of time. And so far only one person of all staff members is semi-actively working on that.

While having a good bit of nostalgia, I have a number of reasons to not be very optimistic about this whole classic deal regarding addons.
  • The hype train.
Basically what this is boiled down to... I know how blizz games tend to launch, so I'm not under any illusions that Classic will be playable by itself until at least 2 weeks pass due to an unreasonable amount of people. Not just in terms of technical limitations, but in terms of plainly not having enough mobs to kill. Also it's hard to code and test stuff while sitting in login queue. Additional servers won't help. So at least 2 weeks until the game becomes bearable for my taste, when hyped kids and other walk-by people leave. Likely even more time than that.

• Time restrains.
That's not a secret that none of us here is doing this full-time. And between my job, making live version, making classic version and having time for myself, classic has lowest priority possible.

• Classic API.
For some reason Blizzard decided to roll back and gut everything to the ancient barely functional API. The one wildly different from what we have now. Thus the code will need to be written mostly from scratch. Especially considering some modern functions that would have no impact on "vanilla feel" of the game were gutted, thus making a large bunch of code not working. But hey, we can have battle-net integration - totally not ruining authenticity of classic version. If they want classic feel to it, they could just disable all addons until phase 2 or 3. That would be a classic adventure.
That may look like a pretty minor complain from end-user perspective, but developing and supporting 2 things that do the same stuff but in a two completely different ways is tedious to say the least.

• Lack of overall interest in classic.
Been there, done that. For me personally Classic doesn't have much of an appeal apart from short nostalgic injections. S&L was born as the thing for personal use that me and Repooc decided would be cool to share. And since I have little interest in Classic, by proxy I have little interest in making addons for it. If I end up at least semi-actively playing it, then maybe.

So that's that. I don't say S&L will never be ported over to Classic, but chances are I'm not doing it for release.
Fan of maids and "sick freak"™

‹Elv›: I just utilized my degree in afro engineering and fixed it
‹Darth Predator›: so don't even dare to think you are crazier than me

Darth, no pressure here. I understand time and effort requirements -- I'm a father of five. If it's something you choose to do, I know I'd love it. At the very least, I like your UI arrangements, even without the bells and whistles.

I appreciate the work you and anyone else involved in ElvUI and Shadow and Light. Thanks for making our Retail and, hopefully, our Classic experience better!

Just to chime in, I can understand not having time for it -- but speaking solely for myself I would totally love it. I always enjoyed S&L simply for the data text options it enhances ElvUI with that lets me display all the info I want across the top black bar that ElvUI leaves mostly empty. Obviously it does way more than that, but that's the one thing I'm missing right now.

If anyone has an alternative I'd be all ears. :)

enrogae wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:36 pm
Just to chime in, I can understand not having time for it -- but speaking solely for myself I would totally love it. I always enjoyed S&L simply for the data text options it enhances ElvUI with that lets me display all the info I want across the top black bar that ElvUI leaves mostly empty. Obviously it does way more than that, but that's the one thing I'm missing right now.

Well, if you only look for datatext bars... then this can be pretty easily ported over with maybe 3-4 small edits https://www.tukui.org/addons.php?id=46 Maybe. Probably. I hope so.
Currently at work, so I'll see what I can do about that one after I gethome.
Fan of maids and "sick freak"™

‹Elv›: I just utilized my degree in afro engineering and fixed it
‹Darth Predator›: so don't even dare to think you are crazier than me

Darth_Predator wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 pm
enrogae wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Well, if you only look for datatext bars... then this can be pretty easily ported over with maybe 3-4 small edits https://www.tukui.org/addons.php?id=46 Maybe. Probably. I hope so.
Currently at work, so I'll see what I can do about that one after I gethome.
That would be super-duper awesome! I'm so used to having the data and the interactive guild list to see who's online, quickly invite people, see how much gold I have, etc. All at a glance. I like all the panel redraws in S&L but the data text options were single-handedly most useful to me.