Forum Rules:
Before creating a thread here then please read [Read Before Posting] Ask For Technical Support: The Right Way.

When you create a new thread then please make sure you use the "ElvUI Tech Support" post template. See the link above for more information.

Scrolling combat text for self is broken/messy

Version of ElvUI: 10.68

Did you disable all addons except the two called 'ElvUI' and 'ElvUI Config'?: Yes

Did you disable all addons to make sure the issue comes from ElvUI?: Yes

Did you check for lua errors? (/luaerror on): Yes

Please explain the issue you're having with as much detail as possible. If there is a way to reproduce the issue then mention that too.:
'Issue' (more of a gripe I guess) occurs with all scrolling combat text for self only. Text is very aliased and badly kerned/not spaced well. I don't remember this being an issue with older ElvUI versions. I have tried changing the font for scrolling

If your issue is graphical then please take some screenshots to illustrate it. You can attach them to your post: Issue: https://imgur.com/5SP3bZB

NOTE: The issue is made less worse by going into System -> Advanced and then ticking and unticking the UI Scale option near the bottom. Fonts are made less jaggy most of the time but they still appear occasionally.

After ticking and unticking UI Scale box: https://imgur.com/KjJ0WWg

I'm assuming this has something to do with the ElvUI resolution/UI scaling. During first-time setup I selected the 'High Resolution' option if that's any help.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

AddOns only have access to change the font and nothing else. If there is a scaling issue then it is out of our control. It is a good idea to check if you are using the optimal UI scale though, which is what "Auto Scale" option in ElvUI is about. Make sure that option is enabled, it is found in the General section of the ElvUI config.
ElvUI: Request Feature | Report Bug

My replies might be short sometimes due to time constraints. Nothing personal.

Thanks very much for the reply.

The "Auto Scale" option is already ticked, however I now think this has to do with ElvUI changing/overriding the font for self scrolling combat text. Even if I set it to the default font under ElvUI Config -> General -> Media -> CombatText Font, it still appears broken, only way to fix it is to completely disable ElvUI. I'm not sure if it would be possible for someone/anyone to replicate this?

EDIT: Looks like someone else is experiencing the same issue: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1058

Thanks again for the reply. That does indeed work, however like you said it just defaults every font to the standard WoW ones. Yuck!

Again, this isn't an important issue but since it never used to happen with ElvUI (even at the start of Legion) it'd be awesome if one of the programmers could have a quick look at it - not sure if Blizzard made a change to how self floating combat text works that now clashes with ElvUI.

Scrolling combat text for self is broken/messy  [Accepted Answer]

There isn't anything to look at for us. We can only change the font (simply by changing the value of a variable) and that is all we can do. There is nothing else we can touch or modify which may affect the text, other than the UI scale.

What we can consider is to split the Name Font and Combat Font options out from the "Replace Blizzard Font" option, so they can be enabled/disabled independently. This will at least allow users to disable replacement of the name and/or combat fonts in the hopes that this will look better.
ElvUI: Request Feature | Report Bug

My replies might be short sometimes due to time constraints. Nothing personal.

First and foremost, sorry for necroposting but I didn't find this issue anywhere else.

I really would like this to work as floating combat text built in is (for me) better than any addon because it shows aligned with the 3D unit on the screen.

Is there any way to change the "Replace Blizzard Font" only for floating combat text like described above by @Blazeflack via some command in the interface?

Thanks a ton!

Blazeflack wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:37 am
No there is not, but please create a ticket for this so we can add it when we have some spare time. Link in my signature.
Created! https://git.tukui.org/elvui/elvui/issues/461 Hopefuly it's descriptive enough. If you want I could post the picture from here too.

Thanks again, that would be an amazing feature since the scrolling combat text for self right now is totally unreadable :(

EDIT: I just found a way to fix it while we wait to be officially there. In file elvui/core/font.lua, line 94, comment the line. The result should be something like this:

Code: Select all

--SetFont(CombatTextFont,                     COMBAT, 200, MONOCHROME.."OUTLINE") -- number here just increase the font quality.
That is already in the issue too. Thanks again.