Forum Rules:
Before creating a support thread here then please read [Read Before Posting] Ask For Technical Support: The Right Way.

When you create a new thread asking for support then please make sure you use the "ElvUI Tech Support" post template. See the link above for more information.

Additional Chat panel datatexts

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered before. I did try and use the search function but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Is there any way to add additional (more than the existing 3) datatexts to the left and right chat panels? I have an ultrawide monitor and I have extended my panels quite far as I don't like reading multiple lines of chat for each sentence but now the 3 datatexts seem like such an awful waste of space.

That isn’t an option. You can disable the ElvUI chat datatexts and download another datatext addon (from the addons section) and place two datatexts under each chat.
I always recommend backing up your WTF folder - where your profiles/settings for all addons, including ElvUI are stored.

Will this not get rid of the hide interface panel button on each chat panel? The addon that supports additional datatexts cannot reproduce this button so its functionality will be lost so that won't work unfortunately. Is this something that could be maybe discussed as a feature for a future release as I cannot be the only person who wishes that there were additional datatexts?

That is the first time I have seen someone ask for two datatexts.

There are a couple of options.

Bind the hide chat panels to a key ( in keybind section) and use another addon for the datatexts.

Or

Shadow and light detaches the chat datatext (it has a lot more features, I think another feature is more datatexts ) You could see if you want to use that and put the original chat datatext and another side by side.
I always recommend backing up your WTF folder - where your profiles/settings for all addons, including ElvUI are stored.