Forum Rules:
Before creating a support thread here then please read [Read Before Posting] Ask For Technical Support: The Right Way.

When you create a new thread asking for support then please make sure you use the "ElvUI Tech Support" post template. See the link above for more information.

Nameplates

Also really want to know a way to do this. Waking up to find new update essentially bricked nameplates and having to find a replacement addon made me finally understand why so many long term WoW players say they hate Elvui. Changing things randomly and destroying parts of peoples UI is getting really tiring to put up with. Already started outsourcing various aspects of the UI to other addons which sort of defeats the point of the elvui suite.

Anyway, that aside what addons are people using for their nameplates in the meantime?

I got recommended Kui but I'm finding even with stacking nameplates it bleeds them over each other way too much. Hard to track my dots

Nameplates

There was a post about this, an in-game popup and a discord pin. For almost a month in advance.

We don't wipe settings unless it gets a full rewrite. There isn't a simple process to convert it like most other addons. Settings can be wiped out by ALT + F4, a game crash, a computer lockup or any other issues that are outside the scope of ElvUI. We recommend backing up settings and/or taking screenshots to save you trouble when things go awry. We provide an export profile so you can save it.

Nameplates was fully rewritten. We was able to save your StyleFilters and nothing else.

Nameplates

Azilroka wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:24 pm
There was a post about this, an in-game popup and a discord pin. For almost a month in advance.

We don't wipe settings unless it gets a full rewrite. There isn't a simple process to convert it like most other addons. Settings can be wiped out by ALT + F4, a game crash, a computer lockup or any other issues that are outside the scope of ElvUI. We recommend backing up settings and/or taking screenshots to save you trouble when things go awry. We provide an export profile so you can save it.

Nameplates was fully rewritten. We was able to save your StyleFilters and nothing else.
It's so nice to come here for information because of another stupid feature of the addon that has been "improved" so ppl. even want to go as far as just replacing that part with an entire new addon, just to see every second post being answered as smuggy as possible by forum admin (especially you).

It's completely besides the point that this was announced early, it wasn't the critique that this was a stealth change. The critique is that it just makes the addon as a whole more complicated for literally NO reason whatsoever. I loved elvui ever since I dunno MoP? But since arround WoD/Legion you guys come up one stupid idea after another (stuff that NO one ever asked about) and since BfA your service doesn't even feell like a service anymore. This raid/partyframe issue where someone was ressed but appears dead hasn't been fixed for 6 builds or so. I even have it happen every now and then right now. There have been forum posts but it just looks like no one even cares.

The buff/debuff filter thing you did back in legion was the 1st big misstep that drove people away from you. It's good for someone who is willing to min/max their UI for whatever reason (Im raiding world ~300 and see no reason whatsoever to min/max buffs/debuff display). I would get it if the whole addon was just used by some cracks that basically live for it, but this isn't the case. It's an addon your average Joe uses, a person who doesn't want to have a bach degree just to be able to use it properly. If it was intuitive to use at least, the whole filter thing sure as hellll isn't. And now you need to screw over nameplates as well which don't even work right now for almost a week?

At least own up to your mistakes and/or improve your "service" instead of just being smuggy in the forum because you can't handle when ppl complain.

Nameplates

stkescam wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:49 pm
It's so nice to come here for information because of another stupid feature of the addon that has been "improved" so ppl. even want to go as far as just replacing that part with an entire new addon, just to see every second post being answered as smuggy as possible by forum admin (especially you).

It's completely besides the point that this was announced early, it wasn't the critique that this was a stealth change. The critique is that it just makes the addon as a whole more complicated for literally NO reason whatsoever. I loved elvui ever since I dunno MoP? But since arround WoD/Legion you guys come up one stupid idea after another (stuff that NO one ever asked about) and since BfA your service doesn't even feell like a service anymore. This raid/partyframe issue where someone was ressed but appears dead hasn't been fixed for 6 builds or so. I even have it happen every now and then right now. There have been forum posts but it just looks like no one even cares.

The buff/debuff filter thing you did back in legion was the 1st big misstep that drove people away from you. It's good for someone who is willing to min/max their UI for whatever reason (Im raiding world ~300 and see no reason whatsoever to min/max buffs/debuff display). I would get it if the whole addon was just used by some cracks that basically live for it, but this isn't the case. It's an addon your average Joe uses, a person who doesn't want to have a bach degree just to be able to use it properly. If it was intuitive to use at least, the whole filter thing sure as hellll isn't. And now you need to screw over nameplates as well which don't even work right now for almost a week?

At least own up to your mistakes and/or improve your "service" instead of just being smuggy in the forum because you can't handle when ppl complain.
The reason people show as dead "that hasn't been fixed for 6 builds or so" is a BLIZZARD ERROR. It was confirmed by Blizzard and STILL has yet to be fixed. Along with Pixel Perfect that was a stealth change from BLIZZARD. It's been broken since 8.1. The reason why "their" player frame doesn't suffer is because they OnUpdate it to correct it. If we do that on all UnitFrames you are talking.. roughly 100 UnitFrames + 40 Nameplates in ElvUI. That would cause FPS issues for sure.

I made a thread with Known Issues because I knew they wasn't fully ready. The whole team knew we was going to take flak. We was prepared for it. At the end of the day. Elv wanted them in. They went in.

The new nameplates are .6 seconds faster than the old ones in spawning. They update faster and more precise. The old ones was bringing down the "average" computer by 40 FPS.. when they wasn't even updating.

The reason the isn't a release is because we been working for over a week.. we are trying to fix ALL the bugs for you guys. You want another buggy release? I don't know about that.

Here is the current changelog for 11.07. If there isn't any mention of your particular issue in that changelog come on discord and let me know or post here.
https://git.tukui.org/elvui/elvui/blob/ ... ANGELOG.md

Nameplates

Your reply answered, and addressed, literally nothing from my post.

I don't care if you kept my settings, if I log in and nameplates are unusable and horrid I'm just happy I updated well before raid started otherwise I would have been well and truly fucked. Changing and updating things is all well and good, but why the change? What benefit did people get? After fiddling with the new nameplates for a while I gave up and resorted to another addon to fix it. Something I am finding myself doing increasingly often with elvui.

I have a bag addon to remove your bag feature, a raid frames addon to remove your raidframes, a character stats addon to remove your character stats, a bar feature to remove your skillbars and now an addon to remove your nameplates. At this point I basically have elvui installed for black squares in text and being able to shrink the hell out of the talking head frames.

I really hate to harp on about a free product, but as Stkescam said the smug tone is unnecessary and the fact that you clearly didn't read anything I said other than 'nameplates changed' and decided to step around the decision behind changing them to begin with when nobody was asking for this.

I've been using Elvui for basically eternity, and have been speaking its praises to everyone I meet since I started hardcore raiding back in Legion as a one stop UI shop that's easily customisable and flexible. If you're going to arbitrarily chop and change aspects of peoples UI with no warning/ability to opt out then honestly I cannot recommend anyone building a reliance on such an unreliable addon. Better to get them building a mishmash of addons into a UI sooner rather than wake up and find they have to do it every few months.

I don't want to come off as negative and demanding, but I just struggle to see the decision making behind forcing these changes on people seemingly at random. I have liked your addon for many years and I would like to continue using it but if this is going to be a trend that continues I may as well move on sooner than later.

Nameplates

hamunces wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:25 am
What benefit did people get?

Faster Nameplates and more CPU friendly. And way more configurable.
hamunces wrote:
I have a bag addon to remove your bag feature, a raid frames addon to remove your raidframes, a character stats addon to remove your character stats, a bar feature to remove your skillbars and now an addon to remove your nameplates. At this point I basically have elvui installed for black squares in text and being able to shrink the hell out of the talking head frames.
Why dont use ElvUI at all? There are other AddOns that handle skinning.
hamunces wrote:
I really hate to harp on about a free product, but as Stkescam said the smug tone is unnecessary and the fact that you clearly didn't read anything I said other than 'nameplates changed' and decided to step around the decision behind changing them to begin with when nobody was asking for this.
Really? We had like 100 Tickets to improve our Nameplates and add more options to it. And another reason to switching to oUF as Framework to it, i have answered already above.
hamunces wrote:
I don't want to come off as negative and demanding, but I just struggle to see the decision making behind forcing these changes on people seemingly at random. I have liked your addon for many years and I would like to continue using it but if this is going to be a trend that continues I may as well move on sooner than later.
Its up to you.
MerathilisUI

Nameplates

hamunces wrote:

I don't care if you kept my settings, if I log in and nameplates are unusable and horrid I'm just happy I updated well before raid started otherwise I would have been well and truly fucked. Changing and updating things is all well and good, but why the change? What benefit did people get? After fiddling with the new nameplates for a while I gave up and resorted to another addon to fix it. Something I am finding myself doing increasingly often with elvui.

I've been using Elvui for basically eternity, and have been speaking its praises to everyone I meet since I started hardcore raiding back in Legion as a one stop UI shop that's easily customisable and flexible. If you're going to arbitrarily chop and change aspects of peoples UI with no warning/ability to opt out then honestly I cannot recommend anyone building a reliance on such an unreliable addon. Better to get them building a mishmash of addons into a UI sooner rather than wake up and find they have to do it every few months.

Did you read this post? viewtopic.php?p=21796#p21796

Performance Increases. (The Old Nameplates updated in the background even if the elements was hidden.)
Being above to move the Elements more freely. (Old Nameplates had hardly any options)
Occluded (The fact you seen enemies through the floor in some instances.)
Not having to try and control the custom nameplate levels that cause bleeding. It's all done via the Blizzard Plate.

The decision was because they are better. Better code base. Better at handling events.. Being more adaptable to changes. Yes they was released too early. Elv wanted them in so they went in. Did we know about all the bugs you guys found? No.

They was tested.. they wasn't tested very extensively like you guys play. I tested them SOLO. Simpy tested them SOLO. Merathilis tested them SOLO. After getting reports on all these bugs.. yes there was some quick releases to solve some bigger issues... The fact that this update is taking so long is because of all the backlash.. we are trying to break them before you guys do.

Comments like.. "they are utter dog shit" or "they look drawn like a 5 year old".. doesn't help with solving the problem. I'm looking at the forums for reproducible issues.. to fix what is broken.

I'm trying to fix them not really explain the decision making practices of the whole team and the 100 tickets and so many odd posts requesting better nameplate options.. being able to change the text formats.. being able to use custom tags... and the list goes on and on.

If that makes me smug trying to fix instead of explaining then yes I'm smug. Blaze made a great post on the nameplates explaining whats up. I made a post about what I "knew" about.

Nameplates

hamunces wrote:

I have to say that although I understand your frustration you are in no way obliged to use this addon and in all honesty I think the developers of the addon are much better placed to make decisions about how to develop it than someone who probably has absolutely no knowledge as to the technical issues at play behind the scenes as it were. If you actually want to provide input then log bug fixes, suggest features and provide constructive criticism.

I personally welcome the changes. I have gone from losing 20-30 fps to losing pretty much nothing now. That is a major improvement. Granted I had to rework the entire nameplates section of my UI, but working with the development build I have managed to replicate it almost exactly. Thanks for all your efforts and keep up the good work!

To be honest if you were spending your time developing a 'free' addon and you were making informed decisions to improve said free product and had people complaining left, right and centre without an ounce of patience or willingness to contribute constructive or useful criticism you may also feel a little frustrated. I've worked in customer service and I've dealt with the general public and on the whole they are stupid and lazy. I'm surprised at the level of restraint these guys have when dealing with toxic comments like yours.