Guide: Making buffs show up on Elv Party/Raid Frames

Hello friends. I'm an ElvUI user and I was thrilled that support was added for classic. However, one feature I loved was the 'grid'-like raid frames, and I was really irritated that the little squares to indicate active buffs on characters wasn't working and I figured out the cause, and I'd like to share my knowledge in case anyone else runs into this.

The issue boils down to this: in Elv, the options assume that you'll be adding a single effect. Take 'Renew' for example - in retail WoW, you can simply add Renew, and the addon will pick up on the fact that every time you cast renew on a party member, the little green square will show up with a little radial timer on it to indicate it's duration.

In classic this wasn't working, and finally hit me today why - it's because there are spell ranks in classic, and each rank has it's own ID. Fortunately, you can add specific ranks of spells that Elv can track. Go to Filters -> Buff Indicator -> Add SpellId. If you enter the specific ID of the spell to track, you can track that specific rank.

In the example above, I looked up on classic.wowhead.com for a rank 4 renew, and found it at this url: https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=6076/renew. The spell=6076 part of this url contains the ID number you need. So for this example, enter 6076 into the Add SpellId field in Elv. Now, when you cast a rank 4 renew on a party member, it'll show up in your UI when you're in a party/raid.

You can use this same strategy for any buff you want to track (pally buffs, Druid HoTs, etc). Hopefully the authors of Elv will make it easier for us to track different ranks, but for now this is a workaround I've found that works.

Hope this helps someone!

(x-posted to WoW forums)